Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Camino 2013 - One Week to Go

"If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done". Well it's almost the last minute and definitely time to get organized for our next Camino adventure. I have never been one to jump on the 'glorification of busy' bandwagon but it is a sneaky little bandwagon and somehow it has insidiously taken hold of my life. My crowded over-committed day planner does nothing to reflect my true nature - that of someone who loves nothing more than to have nothing to do and all day to do it. Right now that little planner is more indicative of a Type A Over Achiever. Between teaching classes, taking classes, appointments for all those pesky little yearly check ups, errands and family and shopping, I am booked from morning to mid-evening every day (in my world, late evening is a non-event). And nowhere in that daily schedule is 'walking'. I have finally conceded to Dayton's training philosophy..."that's what the first 300 kms are for"! The axiom for his training principles focuses on 'why should I hurt now'. So, with training taken care of, I can focus on other priorities - the pursuit of the perfect gear. The concept of perfect gear is to choose items which are multi-purposes, the most impact for the least amount of weight. The acquisition of new gear is also to combat any problems that have arisen on our previously Camino such as shin splints and tendinitis. Here I am adopting a quasi municipal government mentality - if there is a problem, throw mores money at it. To combat tendinitis I have invested in another new pair of hiking boots, lighter weight by a half a pound a boot! but still Gortex Waterproof and new physio-styled insoles. Lightening the weight of my pack is another problem to throw money at..new lightweight IceBreaker Merino wool hoodies, wash and wear T-shirts and hiking zip-off pants and a new iPad mini to combine ebook reading with blogging. Oops, a new light weight New Balance Minimus walking/running shoes to relaxed the infamously practical yet ugly Crocs. May still end up with tendinitis, shin splints and too heavy a pack but I will suffer in style. Now if I could just find a light weight portable hair dryer and curling iron.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see how you make out with the iPad mini...I have decisions to make by next year! Somehow the thought of just blogging on the iPhone for weeks..seems daunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bonus with the mini iPad is that you can load ebooks on it to read whenever the time and mood permits. Emails, books and blogs all on one device. Perfect. In France though we also need a phone to book reservations although often the hospitalitie will do it for you.

      Delete