Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sunday, April 21Montpellier to Montarnaud

Brilliant sunshine welcomed us on our first day walking the Via Tolasan/Le Chemin de Compostele d'Arles. There were absolutely no way markers guiding us out of Montpellier and not for the first three hours. Dayton's guidebooks were not exceptionally helpful so we relied on Julia's much more detailed German guidebook and her fluency in French to ask for directions. Leaving Montpellier was as unremarkable as leaving through the outskirts of any city....not very picturesque. The picturesque highlight of the day was walking along the Mousoon River. Not even Julia's guidebook was of much help when the bridge it indicates that we have to cross just wasn't there...possibly washed out? Then we had to channel our Blanche deB Bois and rely on the kindness of strangers to direct us up and over a short but treacherous rocky hilltop path. Fortunately, there were more than enough kind souls to keep us on the right way.

My feet, in my new lightweight Merrell hiking boots, felt every ridge of every single rock. Guess I cannot abandon my expensive search for the perfect hiking boots. I may as well have worn my New Balance Minimus runners all day. as the day wore on, and thank goodness for a continual refreshing breeze, the weight of my pack started to weigh heavier and heavier on my shoulders. Before we left home, Dayton noted his weight so that after our 1000 kms he can compare his starting weight and measurements with his expected wight loss. For me, I think my weight loss will come in loss of height caused by the constant compression on my spine. By Santiago, no one will be able to see me behind or under my pack.

Our gite in Montarnaud , Gite Le Temps d'une Pause, is a separate little house with two bedrooms, six beds (but thankfully only we three are here tonight), a lovely big shower, washroom and a substantial common room with a microwave, kettle, coffee maker and toaster. If course, it would help if we had coffee, toast or microwave popcorn! Ha like they even have the latter in Europe!

In a concerted effort to prevent bed bugs, our hostess wants us to leave backpacks, boots and sleeping bags in the common room and use her sheets and duvets. Less work for us and it's in our best interest to help keep those little bed bugs away. Se is also providing up with dinner: salad ropa ( which is a huge vegetable and salad platter that serves as a meal), bread, cheese and chocolate cake. There is a salad for each of us but one would actually serve all three. So far so very very good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment