Friday, May 22, 2015

Vila do Conde to Barcelos May 21 - 22km*

Another day, another bus

A beautiful sunny day for a 22km bus ride into Barcelos. As usual Dayton has found and booked us into a hotel that is ideally located, right in the centre and heart of the town. Our Hotel Terco is right on the major centre town square where every Thursday Portugal's oldest and most traditional open-air market is held and today is Thursday. The market stalls fill the square peddling everything from vegetables and fruits, to cheese, breads, Iberian ham, salted cod, chicks, chickens and hens, flowers and plants, and all manner of clothing and household goods. But..if I buy it, I have to carry it so there is no personal shopping going on here.

Dayton is going to tour this town, find and walk its Camino route and I am going to stay at the hotel, rest Whatever is bothering my feet and watch the clothes dry. This may not be the Camino we planned but each day has come with its own little gifts and surprises; a great tapas bar, an open air market, a lovely waterfront, or chance encounters with other pilgrims and wonderfully, welcoming and helpful souls to help you get what you need and enjoy it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Rest up and enjoy the gifts you find. This might turn out to be a very special camino after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time resting. We talked about your travels today at Camino coffee and came to the conclusion, "wish we were there"!! Cheers. Us and Them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot one thing. Dayton can you bring me home that rooster. Should fit in your bag if you take out Karen's potato chips. Oh, can't believe I've seen no pot. Chips. Cheers, again. Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh not what I was hoping to hear about your feet!! Hope you can find some real relief soon! Bom Caminho, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen: Is that you? I have a hermit friend who wants to do the Camino next year and I thought that you would be a good one to talk to. Br. Richard P.S. some time ago I sent you an e-mail. Did you get it. It could be I have an old address. Mine is richwithers@juno.com

      Delete
  5. Hey John L. There ARE chips, but Karen's carrying them. I picked up the large rooster and some live chicks for you. Dayton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey John and Robin. Really appreciate your words of encouragement. Karen got fixed up a little bit yesterday at the doctor and we walked about 6 or 7 KM. today. I'm walking tomorrow with the Malta group and Karen is taking the train. 33+ kms. tomorrow......we'll see how my feet hold up again after four days off. She might try to walk Monday. Thanks again. Dayton

    ReplyDelete