Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Where you go, I will go.


Today we set out at 6:30am across the deserted dark cathedral square and headed out of town on our three day trek to Fisterre. As I was following Dayton, who was as usual 100 metres ahead of me, I recalled that in our wedding service we used the passage from the Book of Ruth "whither thou goest, I will go" or "where you go, I will follow" and now, almost 28 years later, I am following Dayton to the end of the world and how neat is that!

The walk today was along a lovely pathway cutting through eucalyptus and pine trees and bordered by ferns and foxgloves. I am becoming a trail snail and just like the walk from Arca into Santiago every single person on their way to Fisterre passed us, well me anyway. This is a major problem as there are not many spaces in the few alberques along this route. This is going to be bit of a rat race.

I´m losing it on the hills now too. I used to think I was a little mountain goat on the hills with the best defence being a good offense so I would just attack the hill busting up it as hard as I could. Now I´m like the Little Engine that Could (or couldn´t).......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Instead of getting stronger and stronger, I´m fading. This camino is humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment