Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday, May 28 - Santiago to Negreira

765. 765! That is how many pilgrims walked into Santiago and claimed their Compostelas yesterday, Monday, May 27. Apparently each day of this past weekend over 500 pilgrims completed their Camino. I find that astounding.
The Cathedral from our hotel room balcony
 
Dayton has been reading and editing my blogs and politely correcting my facts; however, that is usually after I have already posted the blog so take all my facts as more 'almost correct' than absolutes. I do have it on good authority that the stats listed above are accurate - another pilgrim told me so.
 
 
Leaving Santiago in the early morning
 
We are back on the trail again having left Santiago shortly after 7:00am this morning and heading out towards Negreira on our way to Muxia. A couple of hours into the morning we stopped at a bar/restaurant for desayuno (breakfast). A few pilgrims caught up with us here (they probably left after 8:00am) and went on ahead of us. Four years ago this would have caused me great anxiety as I would have been thinking, as each one passed me by, "There goes my bed. There goes my bed and OMG. There goes my bed", but not this time because we have reservations! We are booked into a Hostal, a Pensión and a hotel for each of the upcoming three nights respectively. Now I can just relax and enjoy walking at our own pace which is none too fast.
Camino markers showing kms. to Muxia
 
 
As Dayton paid 'la cuenta' for our breakfast, I was thinking that, although our Canadian dollar is well below par with the Euro we are getting very good value for our money, probably so much better than at home. For breakfast we had a café con leche, a tea, two pieces of Santiago cake and a bocadilla all for just 5.40€ and the bocadilla had about a half rasher of bacon and a half pound of cheese on a two foot long baquette. And for added savings, if you tip even 10% here, you are a very generous soul. Bonus.
 
We walked in and out of eucalyptus forests all morning and Dayton commented on how wonderful the scent was. I still haven't gotten back any sense of smell since my earlier cold so I could only imagine and remember from four years ago.
 
We got to Negreira just after the noon hour and stopped for lunch at the very restaurant where we ate four years ago..almost to the day. I'm always sceptical and anxious before we check into the Hostal, or Pensión or hotel, wondering if it will be dive but so far it has almost always been okay. Here we have a large room with ensuite bath, towels, hair dryer, WiFi and a washer and dryer to finally get our clothes properly cleaned. The bonus too is that we arrived before the rain. Let's hope that we make out as well tomorrow when we have about 34 kms to walk to Oliveiroa.
 
 
Ponte Maceira, about 4 km from Negreira
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you got underway in fair weather. This will be a fun walk for you. Buen Camino.

    John and Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Well the sunshine lasted until sundown yesterday. We had our ponchos on after about 500 metres this morning. Hopefully the sun will shine on Muxia. Today's 33 km started with a steady rain and changed to a driving rain. Haven't been this wet since the day we walked into Santiago 4 years ago. Of course it wouldn't be a Camino if it was a walk in the park. Dayton and Karen

      Delete